- Rob Lowe, actor in “Parks and Rec” and “9-1-1: Lone Star” follows a low-carb Atkins diet.
- He started eating low carbohydrates in his 30s and said it helps him have more energy and focus.
- His secret to success is to include treats like pizza and ice cream in a healthy diet.
Rob Lowe was eating low in carbs before it was all the rage.
The “Parks and Rec” and “9-1-1: Lone Star” actor said he started cutting carbs in his 30s and has since become a spokesperson for the Atkins diet company.
“Sooner or later everyone gets to the point where you realize you can’t eat like you’re in college anymore,” he told Insider. “I didn’t realize it was one thing, but it changed my life.”
Lowe, now 57, swears by Atkins for keeping his weight and energy level high. The diet encourages lots of protein and healthy fats, with little sugar and carbohydrates.
“This way of eating gives me a lot more energy during the day. I am not tired after a meal, I am more focused and it allows me to train harder. It also helps to keep my weight even though I am don’t use it as a diet, ”he said.
Lowe, who is known to have a sweet tooth, said that being sustainable when it comes to healthy eating involves making room for plenty of goodies and focusing on long-term success, more than stressing out over many. small details.
Life “isn’t worth living” without pizza and ice cream, Lowe said
Most of the time, Lowe said he sticks to Atkins staples like lean meats and fish, salads, vegetables, fruits, yogurt, and Atkins-branded shakes and bars. But making room for fun foods is essential for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, he said. And eating low-carb foods most of the time allows him to indulge himself whenever he wants, without worrying about derailing his health and fitness goals.
“I love to cheat – I love pizza and I love cheeseburgers, ice cream and nachos. Life without that stuff isn’t worth living,” Lowe said. “It’s about moderating it and doing it in a healthy and sustainable way.”
Previously, dietitians told Insider they support this strategy (although many don’t like the term “cheat meal”) to avoid over-restricting a diet. It’s sometimes called the 80/20 rule, in which about 80% of the diet is healthy food and the remaining 20% is fun food.
He intends to indulge
Lowe said that while he loves treats, he doesn’t go out of his way whenever he gets the chance to eat his favorite foods. He said he tries to be mindful – if someone passes around a platter of nachos during a football game and doesn’t particularly want to eat them, he will back out. That way, when he’s really craving a treat, it’s a lot nicer.
“When you have willpower, use it. We all have willpower sometimes. And then there will be days when you say ‘give me these nachos and put them in my body,'” Lowe said.
It doesn’t strictly follow foods, calories, or macros
the Atkins latest book, which Lowe wrote before, calls for eating less than 100 grams of net carbs per day (calculated by subtracting grams of fiber from total carbs).
Lowe said that while he usually follows this advice, it doesn’t matter, unless he’s gearing up for a specific movie role or a particular fitness goal.
“I know enough to know if I stick to the right foods and avoid the wrong foods, I’ll be fine,” Lowe said.